AUSTIN ADDICTION AFTERCARE PROGRAM
Making it through a recovery program is a significant milestone. However, recovery is a lifelong process. Seeking recovery is just the first step.
Conversations about aftercare should begin on the first day of treatment since returning home to everyday activities such as work, school, and family while maintaining sobriety is the ultimate goal. Aftercare should not be an afterthought. It should be a priority.
Treatment outcomes are significantly improved when followed up with a long-term aftercare program. The Prairie Recovery Center in Austin offers an addiction aftercare program to sustain recovery for a lifetime.
The Definition of Aftercare
Aftercare is a plan to support someone in the early stages of recovery. The risk of relapse is highest in the first few months after leaving rehab. It’s estimated that between 40% and 60% of people recovering from drug and alcohol addiction experience relapse at some point.
The goal of aftercare is to prevent relapse and keep those in recovery on the path of wellness and sobriety. In addition to sobriety and overall improved well-being, those in aftercare will enjoy improved relationships with family, friends, and co-workers.
An aftercare plan includes activities, interventions, and resources to help those in recovery cope with the triggers, stress, and cravings experienced after treatment. Every person’s aftercare treatment will vary based on their individual needs. An aftercare plan may include:
- Participating in your treatment center’s alumni program
- Staying in a sober living facility for some time
- Attending 12-step programs like Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or other recovery meetings
- Staying in contact with a sponsor or other members of a sober support group
- Attending individual and group counseling sessions
- Inclusion of family and friends in the recovery process
- Professional and peer support services
- Crisis services, including a 24/7 crisis hotline
Once a solid aftercare program is in place, those in recovery will feel more confident in their ability to stay healthy and sober.
The Importance of Aftercare
Graduating from rehab is much like graduating from high school or college. Emotions are everywhere, ranging from fear and anxiety to hope and pride. Not surprisingly, the period after treatment brings some unique challenges as those leaving recovery navigate the real world. Consequently, those patients often require additional support and encouragement.
Many former patients will need help overcoming an obstacle that could trigger substance use relapse. Access to support 24 hours a day is crucial. Sometimes, such a support system can prevent a return to treatment following a short-lived slip-up.
The Prairie Recovery Center in Austin provides an intensive outpatient program (IOP) to bridge residential care and the return to daily life. The care network includes a variety of resources beyond IOP, including support groups for patients and their families and access to specialized individual therapists.
Our Austin addiction aftercare program includes an active alumni program to keep clients connected once their recovery stay is over.
Benefits of Alumni Aftercare
An alumni program offered by a rehab treatment facility connects graduates while providing various aftercare resources.
The Prairie Recovery Center in Austin takes aftercare a step further with an aftercare program that entails more than connecting past clients via social media or a monthly newsletter.
Expect an alumni aftercare program with a full curriculum of events and recovery meetings. All rehab graduates are welcome to every meeting and activity. The benefits to individual participants are excellent.
Here are some of the benefits of alumni addiction aftercare in Austin:
- Long-lasting friendships and connections with others in a similar situation with common goals and experiences
- Improved odds for lasting wellness and recovery
- A sense of community among new and longtime graduates
- A network of individuals to call on 24/7 in a time of need
- Access to professional individuals and services
- Participation in recovery-friendly recreational activities such as barbecues, book clubs, outdoor adventures, and volunteer opportunities
- Helping others struggling during early recovery or those who haven’t completed inpatient rehabilitation
- Positive recovery networking through a community of sober people who understand
- Referrals to necessary services and resources after treatment, such as individual therapy and psychiatric services for dual-diagnosis-disorder/ clients
- A fun-filled approach to a life of sobriety
For many, access to sober support, like our Austin addiction aftercare program in Austin, makes the difference between maintaining recovery and relapsing. A solid support network of rehab graduates with common goals may provide all the reinforcement necessary to stay on the path to a lifetime of sobriety.
We're here to help you recover from drug and alcohol addiction.
Have additional questions? Learn more about addiction and treatment options on our FAQ page.
Stay Connected in Your Recovery Today
If you or someone you love has as recently completed treatment, The Prairie’s comprehensive Austin addiction aftercare program is here for you. We strive to provide a safe space for our clients to grow and heal as long as possible.
In addition to intensive outpatient programs and support groups, our alumni programs keep you connected and involved with friends and colleagues who care about your recovery.
Quality aftercare can significantly improve your odds of achieving lifelong wellness and sobriety. Plus, there’s the bonus of improved family relations and building lifelong friendships. Reach out today for guidance and sober support to last a lifetime.